Super Mario Odyssey[a] is a platform video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo Switch. It is a Super Mario game that follows Mario and Cappy, a spirit that turns into Mario’s hat and allows him to possess other characters and objects, as they journey across various worlds to save Princess Peach from his nemesis Bowser, who plans to forcibly marry her. In contrast to the linear gameplay of prior entries, the game returns to the primarily open-ended, exploration-based gameplay featured in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.
Development began after the release of Super Mario 3D World in 2013. Various ideas were suggested during development, and to incorporate them all, the team decided to employ a sandbox-style of gameplay. Unlike previous installments such as New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 3D World, which were aimed at a casual audience, the team designed Super Mario Odyssey to appeal to the series’ core fans. The game also features a vocal theme song, “Jump Up, Super Star!”, a first for the series.
Super Mario Odyssey was released worldwide on October 27, 2017. It received acclaim from critics, with many calling it one of the best in the series. The game was nominated for and won numerous awards, including for Game of the Year. It is the bestselling game for the Switch, with over 11 million copies sold by June 2018.
Use amazing new abilities—like the power to capture and control objects, animals, and enemies—to collect Power Moons so you can power up the Odyssey airship and save Princess Peach from Bowser’s wedding plans!
Thanks to heroic, hat-shaped Cappy, Mario’s got new moves that’ll make you rethink his traditional run-and-jump gameplay—like cap jump, cap throw, and capture. Use captured cohorts such as enemies, objects, and animals to progress through the game and uncover loads of hidden collectibles. And if you feel like playing with a friend, just pass them a Joy-Con™ controller! Player 1 controls Mario while Player 2 controls Cappy. This sandbox-style 3D Mario adventure—the first since 1996’s beloved Super Mario 64™ and 2002’s Nintendo GameCube™ classic Super Mario Sunshine™—is packed with secrets and surprises, plus exciting new kingdoms to explore.
- Explore astonishing new locales like skyscraper-packed New Donk City to your heart’s content, and run into familiar friends and foes as you try to save Princess Peach from Bowser’s dastardly wedding plans.
- Find something interesting? Toss your cap at it and see what happens! There are lots of fun and surprising ways to interact with your surroundings.
- Be sure to bring any coins you find to a Crazy Cap store, where you can exchange them for decorative souvenirs for the Odyssey and new outfits for Mario! Some destinations have very exclusive dress codes, after all…
- Hand a Joy-Con™ controller to a friend to enjoy simultaneous multiplayer: Player 1 controls Mario while Player 2 controls Mario’s new ally Cappy.
- Use Snapshot Mode to freeze time while playing the game and take screenshots that you can customize using various options and filters. Screenshots can be shared via social media or uploaded to PCs and smart devices* using all of the Nintendo Switch™ system’s built-in screenshot tools.
- A special edition Nintendo Switch™ hardware bundle will launch alongside the game. This special edition includes a download code for the full game, red left and right Joy-Con™ controllers, and a Super Mario Odyssey™ themed Nintendo Switch carrying case.
|Minimum System Requirements||Recommended System Requirements|
|CPU||AMD Vishera FX-6350 3.9GHz or higher / Intel Pentium Dual-Core G4400 3.30GHz or higher||AMD Six-Core CPU / Intel Quad-Core CPU|
|RAM||4 GB or more||8 GB|
|OS||Windows 7 and the KB3135445 platform update (64-bit)||Windows 8.1 (64-bit) or Windows 10|
|Graphics Card||ASUS Radeon R7 250 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 or higher||ASUS Radeon R7 250 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 or higher; Graphics Memory 2 GB|
|Direct X||Version 11||Version 11|
|HDD Space||18 GB ore more||24 GB ore more|
|Game Analysis||Super Mario Odyssey is an all-new 3D Mario adventure exclusively for the Nintendo Switch. In SMO, players travel to entirely new lands never before seen, including a version of New York City. Super Mario Odyssey is the first adventure-style Mario since Super Mario Sunshine in 2002.|