Quake 1.5 is a darkplaces addon mod for the original Quake. Utilizing Seven’s SMC 5.30 as a base, it has been expanded to include new features such as weapons, gore, and plenty of level additions.
What is it?
Quake 1.5 is firstly a weapons overhaul, the original weapon pack’s goal was to redo the quake 1 weapons to give them more feedback. Changes in the mod version include things like shell ejection, seeing rockets slide into the tube, additional frames for nailguns and a spin up/down on the SNG like Q2’s chaingun.
• Create a new folder named Quake 1.5 (or Quake DarkPlaces or whatever you want)
• Extract the files from the included DarkPlaces build into this new main folder (only the files inside, not the folder itself)
• Extract the “quake15” folder into this new main folder (the complete folder, not just the files inside it)
• Create a new “id1” folder inside your Quake 1.5 folder (or whatever you named it)
• Copy the “PAK0.PAK” and “PAK1.PAK” from your original Quake “id1” folder into the new “id1” folder (if these files are missing you have to start Quake at least one time)
• launch the BAT file that comes with the mod (the file must be in the same folder as the darkplaces.exe)
Ingame you can open the new mod menu with the “Home” key (qwerty keyboards) or the “Pos1” key (qwertz keyboards).
• Download Simple Quake Launcher 2 (SQLauncher2) and extract the files into the new main folder (this is totally optional and not required to make the mod run but recommended if you want to easily play other map packs etc.)
• Open SQLauncher2 and configure it like this:
Resolutions: your choice
Map: START | Introduction
Skill: your choice
Demo: your choice
• Click on the little icon on the bottom left and chose “create a shortcut on the Desktop”
• Launch the game via the new shortcut, edit the controls etc. the way you want and start shooting Ogres into bloody pieces. 😀
If you want to have the original music in the game you have to create two folders “sound” and “cdtracks” inside the “id1” folder and put the .OGG music files inside.
e.g. …\Quake Dark Places\id1\sound\cdtracks
I recommend to put the slider for “UI scale” to the middle to make the HUD smaller and more centered and also change the “Grenade icon size” to tiny so it will become part of the ammo bar. Also if you don’t like having your weapons on the right side you can change it to “Centered weapons” to match the classic weapon position you know from the original Quake.
– new gore system
– additional weapons and items (hipnotic proximity grenades, ogre chainsaw)
– many new monsters (several SMC monsters have been changed to fit classic quake)
– new models from arcane dimensions and my own creations (thanks sock!)
– level changes and additional levels featuring breakables, ladders, and other features from AD
– brand new/revamped bosses
– bot support
And there are many more changes, most of which are configurable through the console so you can reduce it to be as classic quake as you like
This mod aims to stay in line with id software’s original artstyle so HD textures will not be officially supported
Q: What darkplaces build do I need to run this?
A: A recommended windows 64 bit build is included in the zip in a folder but it was tested on the July and August 2017 builds of DP here – Icculus.org – get the one from the correct date that matches your OS and make sure to put the files in your root Quake folder (EX:: C:/Quake)
Q: Why is my screen black?
A: You are on the wrong DP build, see above
Q: Why do some textures have pink surrounding them?
A: Older builds of darkplaces did not support transparent textures built into the BSP, see above
Q: Why does the lighting look funky and super bright?
A: Realtime lights are not supported and unfinished on certain maps, the RT lights included are mostly for the fake volumetric lighting effects and light glows seen in some maps
Q: When I load this with X mod it doesn’t work
A: Any Quake mods that come with a progs.dat will not work with this mod, Quake cannot merge code changes. You can copy the maps from a mod but unless it shares some features some things may be missing. You can use map packs and mods that replace cosmetic stuff though.
Q: Why does E2M8 run like garbage?
A: I have a user that helped me in testing this and it turns out Darkplaces does not play well with AMD cards, specifically it seems like AMD’s OpenGL support is not very good, and DP is not super optimized in the first place. I have some upcoming optimizations to the map but for those who are on AMD cards on windows and have really bad performance will probably have to wait for the Quakespasm port
Q: I hate screenshake! Why is there so much
A: I didn’t find it that bad but you can disable it with these console commands –
stick those in your autoexec.cfg since there is no menu option for them
Status: SP BETA RELEASED
The mod requires a 2017 build of darkplaces, and is not designed with RT world lighting in mind so performance in realtime mode may vary wildly