- Size 52.5 MB
- Ratings 6
- AgeRating 4+ [?]
- Developer: This Reading Mama, LLC.
- Website: Official website
- Release Date: 2015-01-16
- Supports: Family Sharing
- Languages: English
- Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Teaching kids to spell includes much more than a list of spelling words students should memorize and write on a spelling test each week. Effective spelling methods do not rely on rote memorization, but are developmentally appropriate and hands-on. Word Study is a widely research-based spelling approach whose purpose is to "examine words in order to reveal the logic and consistencies within [the] written language system and to help student achieve mastery in recognizing, spelling, and defining specific words" (Words Their Way, Bear, et. al, 2012).
Word Study is developmentally appropriate because it takes into consideration what the student understands or does not yet understand about spellings and word meanings to discover where spelling instruction should start. This is accomplished by looking at the student's misspellings of certain word patterns (from simple words like man to more complex words such as multitude). It is hands-on in that it requires students to analyze, manipulate, and create meaningful and logical generalizations of how word spellings work.
Long Vowel Word Study app is similar to Short Vowel Word Study app (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/short-vowel-word-study/id919696645?ls=1&mt=8) and is based on the Word Study approach as described above and is for students in the Within Word Pattern spelling stage, according to Words Their Way.
Long Vowel Word Study reviews some short vowel patterns while teaching the spelling patterns related to long vowels, such as silent e, vowel digraphs (ai, oa, ea, etc.), and less common vowel patterns like ure or ie. Also included are other vowels patterns,
such as these: r-influenced vowels, oi/oy, short oo, and au/aw.
With EIGHT Learning Levels, Long Vowel Word Study teaches kids who are ready for:
* Silent e long vowel pattern
* Vowel digraphs
* R-influence vowel patterns
* Other/Ambiguous vowel patterns
Spelling Activities Included in Every Level:
SORT IT- Sorting words based on their common spelling patterns.
FIND IT- Analyzing words based on their patterns and finding the one that does not fit based on its phonics sound or visual pattern.
SPELL IT- Manipulating letter tiles to spell long vowel words.
WRITE IT- Spelling long vowel words by writing the word that is spoken.
Long Vowel Bonus Sections
* A parent section that explains the theory behind the spelling activities included in the app (plus other features)
* A "Word Fun" section, where kids can play spelling games after earning stars from their spelling activities
We take privacy very seriously:
Does not contain ads
Does not contain integration with social networks
Does not use analytics / data collection tools
Does not contain in-app purchases
Does contain web links for parents
To read more about teaching kids to spell through a developmental approach to spelling, visit This Reading Mama or purchase her book, Teaching Kids to Spell.
- Heavy Snow Plow Truck Excavator Drive-r Simulator
- Heavy Speed Car
- Heavy Steel
- Heavy Tires AR
- Heavy Tractor Farm Sim Duty 19
- Heavy Tractor Farmer Sim 2017 : Farming Adventure
- Heavy Tractor: Mountain Cargo
- Heavy Traffic Moto Race: Crazy City Moto Shooter
- Heavy Transporter Cargo Truck Driver Simulator 3D
- Heavy Transporter Cargo Truck Simulator Hill Drive
- Heavy Truck 3D Cargo Delivery
- Heavy Truck Drive:Drifting on Road
- Heavy Truck Driver Simulator
- Heavy Truck Loader Sim
- Heavy Truck Offroad Racing