A “small” universe simulation, where you play as a black hole and try to absorb the whole universe. You decide the size and shape of the universe. Could also be used as a less meaningful CPU benchmark.
## About This Game
## Epilepsy Warning
If you are suffering from epilepsy, this game is probably not for you. This is
due to the huge amount of bright stars, which can flicker and rotate around
‘A Hole In Space’ is a slow-paced space simulation game. You take control of a
small black hole, which roams through an universe created by parameters you
The movement is slow and sluggish, because everything moves by forces. The
time you need to accelerate is the same time you need to decelerate.
Therefore, it is not advisable to try to fly with max speed.
The amount of time you need to absorb the whole universe depends on how many
stars you want in your universe. Your universe can have from 100 up to 10
million stars, but only if your PC can handle it.
The goal is to absorb the whole universe.
1\. Absorb nearby suns to grow in mass.
2\. Absorb other black holes in the universe, if you are greater in mass.
3\. Absorb the rest of the universe through your new added huge mass.
4\. Enjoy the Big Bang!
You lost the game, if any black hole absorbs you. This will happen if you get
to close to them with a lesser mass.
* Every universe is unique due to procedural generation.
* Nevertheless, use the seed to share your universe with others.
* You can create up to 100 galaxies in your universe and therefore up to 100 supermassive black holes in their center.
* The galaxies can either be static or dynamic, which means they either stay in place or attracting each other.
* The whole universe can contain up to 10 million stars, but only if your PC can handle it.
* You can turn the gravity of stars on or off. If this is off, the performance will drop linear with the amount of stars. Otherwise it will drop squared. Therefore the max amount of stars will be reduced to 100K.
* The stars can either start with zero velocity or with the first cosmic velocity, which means they will fly in an orbit around the center black hole.
* There are 6 different galaxy forms to explore: Random, Circle, Sphere, Spiral-2-Arms, Spiral-4-Arms, Spiral-8-Arms
* Switch between the player black hole and galaxy camera to get a greater view of the universe.
## Technical Aspect
For this game I used Unity’s Data Oriented Technology Stack (DOTS) and with it
the Entity Component System (ECS), the C# Job System and the Burst compiler.
However I did not use Unity physics. Instead I created my own, based on
classical Newton mechanics, center of mass model, vector mathematics and the
superposition principle. The more advanced Schwarzschild Metric is not
For a stable collision detection and to avoid infinities, a maximum speed for
all objects and a space boundary were implemented. So no star can be
slingshotted into oblivion, which would otherwise lead to an unfinishable
If you have any ideas, criticism, feedback or just found some bugs, let me
know in the Steam forum.
Last but not least, have fun and delight yourself in void!