- Size 39.4 MB
- Ratings 1
- AgeRating 4+ [?]
Hands-On Math: Pentominoes creates a virtual math playground where students explore, investigate and discover mathematical concepts. Students use the classic 7-piece set of tangram pieces on an interactive playground to discover and explore, visual problem solving, geometry, fractions, angles, shapes, and much more.
Using Hands-On Math: Pentominoes students can develop the following important mathematical concepts:
• Shapes and Properties
• Logical Patterns and Sequences
• Meaning of Fractions
• Classifying Figures and Measurement
• Creativity and Design
• Open-ended Pentominoes Playground.
• Supports Discovery and Directed Teaching Strategies.
• Problem Solving Activities which Can Be Solved Using
• Helps to Build an Intuitive Understanding of Geometry.
• On/Off Options and Controls for Various Features.
There are 12 permutations for geometric figures made up of 5 squares. The pieces collectively are known as pentominoes. In this app the pieces are provided for use on the Hands-On Math Playground. The Playground offers a snap-to grid function and pieces can be placed, moved, arranged, rotated and grouped in order to represent mathematical ideas.
• The Properties of Geometric Shapes
• Visual Problem Solving
• Fractions (Shading Parts of a Whole)
• Congruence and Similarity
• Rotations and Translation
Students use a slider or buttons to select an activity. Here is a sample activity where the object is to move the correct pentomino pieces into the space in order to completely cover the congruent shapes.